Can the contraceptive pill cause the fertility problem?

Mar 2016

Can the contraceptive pill cause u to have fertility problems when you want to have children? I am currently on the pill but do not want children for a few years, will the pill cause me problems in the future. ? Also what other medical conditions can the pill cause or what problems ? I am currently on dianette as I originally had skin problems but now am changing to microlite as it is less strong than dianette.
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. S Patra 28 minutes later

Thanks for your query. The followings are my comment.

1) Taking regular combined OCP (like microlite etc) is quite effective (99.9%) in preventing unwanted pregnancy without hampering your regular cycle. It also does not cause any type of fertility problem. Though you need to undergo health check up yearly basis in case of long term use of the pill.

2) When you will plan for children, you have to stop taking those pill for at least 2-3 months to regain natural fertility. After that, both of you have to try for at least 6 month to 1 year around fertile period (11th-18th day of each cycle) to maximise chance of natural conception.

3) For long term use of OCP, there are some common side effects like nausea/ vomiting, breakthrough bleeding (mostly in 1st year), decrease in menstrual flow, increase lukorrhea (white discharge), breast tenderness, deep vein thrombosis (DVT), weight gain, change in libido in some women, depression etc.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.