Can the child be safe and free from TB while father is under treatment of bone TB ?

My younger brother is under treatement of the bone TB(from the last 4 months) .Now his wife become pregnant .Can the child be safe and free from this TB or any other medical complications ?.His wife is in good health.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 36 minutes later

Thank you for posting the query.

From the description, it seems that you are enquiring about the probability of TB affecting an unborn child, since the father is having TB.

The wife and the unborn child of your brother are completely safe and will not have any issues due to Tuberculosis.

Bone TB is spread through blood and not through being together in the same room.

But since your brother is already on TB treatment, the bacteria must be in dormant stage and not actively replicating. Hence there is no need to worry about the possibility of infection of his wife and his unborn child.

In addition, TB medications taken by the father, will not affect both the unborn child and the mother.

I hope this clears your doubts.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.