Can the candy stucked in the throat cause bruised and bleeding tonsils?

My son fell with a candy in his mouth which lodged in his throat. I got it out, but now his tonsils are bruised and bleeding slightly; they are also very enlarged/swollen. Should we take him to the ER? He seems otherwise fine.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 58 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. The tonsils must have got bruised when you were trying to take out the candy.

Although your son is fine but since the tonsils are bleeding and swollen he needs a course of antibiotics to avoid any infection as they are easily infected from peers. For this, my suggestion would be take him to the ER and get him a prophylactic antibiotic.

Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:

1)     Give him ice cubes to suck and cold water or fluids.
2)     You may also give him honey to suck or gargles with water diluted mouth wash.
3)     Avoid further manipulation or injury to the area.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.