Can the axillary abscess be removed with surgery?

I have a XXXXXXX axillary abscess with pain and fever. Can this be removed in outpatient surgery.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 34 minutes later
Hi Robinjohneen

An abscess is an indication of an underlying local infection , since the axilla(armpit) is supplied by many lymph nodes,this area commonly gets infected leading to an abscess. Having said that any abscess needs an incision and drainage as the final treatment protocol.

If the abscess was superficial, it could be drained by a small incision, this is done in outpatient surgical minor OT under aseptic conditions.

A XXXXXXX seated abscess needs an incision which would be 3 to 5 cms XXXXXXX and may need extra care while drainage, hence the surgeon may prefer to drain this under aseptic precautions, with an antibiotic cover, in a major operation theater. However this can still be done under 'Day care Surgery' with no need of admission formalities.

The decision completely depends on the doctor examining you and his experience in conduction such surgery.

Hope I answered your query,I would be available for follow ups as well.