Can tendency to eat raw rice in toddlers suffering from ADHD be indication of nutritional deficiency?

my daughter is 2 yes old. in the last 3 months I have noticed her tendency to eat raw rice grains. it lasted 3 days initially. I reprimanded her and kept the rice at an inaccessible place. but again after few days next month I saw that she was eating raw rice when it was at an accessible position. is this pica? I thought just like she puts anything and everything in the mouth like tape, paper, pencil, bits of paint broken from the wall, this must be like that. but she is extremely skinny and must be 11-12kg. she is a very poor eater. also she has ADHD I think. anyway she is very hyperactive and requires 3 people to manage. I doubt if she has nutritional deficiency. Pls suggest me what I should do to get this clarified and how to treat this pica?
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax. Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for your query. Pica is a problem which is seen in many children. Due to eating of unedible items child develops nutritional defeciencies. I suggest you to be patient with her. Do not scold her as this will potentiate her behavior. Engage her is some constructive games like building blocks etc. Reward her for good behaviour by taking her out/ telling stories/giving her favourite food or toy. Children with pica mostly have deficiency of iron and other minerals including calcium. I suggest you to get her examined by pediatrician so that supplements will be started. Hope I have answered your query,let me know if you have any further question. Wishing your child good health. God bless...