Can taking Gemfibrozil causes bruising and is it a statin drug?

I,m taking Gemfibrozil and have been for several months...My question is...can this medication cause bruising and is it a statin drug?
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Bruising-Gemfibrozil side effect... Detailed Answer: Hi, Gemfibrozil is not a statin drug. It belongs to "fibrate" group of medications used to lower cholesterol levels and improve lipid profile. With regards to bruising, it is reported as a rare but serious side effect. Therefore, if you experiencing easily bruising, then, I'd suggest to - stop taking gemfibrozil and - report this side effect to your doctor to change therapy or to run other tests if necessary. Hope it answered to your inquiries! If you have other questions, feel free to write me back! I'd be happy to assist you further! Dr.Sejdini