Can taking Cyproheptadine help with Zyprexa withdrawals?

I hear that taking cyproheptadine can help with zyprexa withdrawals, is that true? I hear its a receptor blocking agent, what is that? I had insomnia but I'm finely able to sleep with sleeping teas with passion flower in it, somnapure, and ambien but I still feel headaches, severe anxiety, nausea, diarrhea, tingly feelings. what do you recommend? I take 50 mg of setraline in the morning and thats it, but I would like to stop taking that too, my reason for wanting to get off ssri drugs is because I want to have a baby with my husband in the near future, and I'm afraid of birth defects and other things while taking the ssri drug while I'm pregnant, I was taking clonazepam but I hear thats not a good drug, so what should I do to help me get off these drugs? before zyprexa I was sort of ok, I only had low energy and depression, but I function better before zyprexa and I was not addicted to any ssri drugs, I did not have insomnia or panic attacks before zyprexa, I was also on remeron a year ago, I also tried invega sustenna at the time
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 8 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

First most important thing to know zyprexa and sertraline are not addictive medicine. They are very good medicines for psychological problems. These medicine can be taken for years without addiction, like we take medicine for hypertension and diabetes. Addictive medicine has feature of tolerence, means more dose is required to provide euphoria, over a period of time.

Zyprexa and sertraline neither provide high nor produce tolerence. It is inherent nature of the body that in many cases anxiety and depressive symptoms return after stoppage of medicine.

Cyproheptadine is not an alternative for Zyprexa, even it causes sleep and weight gain. From your query it is clear that your anxiety and depressive symptoms are not controlled.

Following measures will help you:
-Follow sleep hygiene regularly. You can get steps of sleep hygiene on internet.
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk and breathing exercise.
-Stop substance use (if present)
-Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) from trained therapist.

If with these steps your anxiety and depression got controlled then you can stop medicine gradually under specialist supervision. Till that time it is better to continue current medicines.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.