Can take calcium supplements if also taking magnesium?

Is it ok to take calcium supplements if you also take magnesium?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 24 minutes later

It is safe to take calcium supplements with magnesium. In fact Magnesium is what keeps calcium dissolved in areas of the body where it needs to be (like the muscles, joints, kidneys, heart and brain for example). However do consult your physician for continuation of long term magnesium in case it was started from cardioprotective point of view.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Follow-up: Can take calcium supplements if also taking magnesium? 7 hours later
Is it generally all right to take calcium supplements at all? I mean, does doing so contribute to plaque buildup in the arteries? (Or does taking magnesium along with the calcium make one avoid that problem?)
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 57 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Getting your daily calcium requirement (1000mg/ day) from diet is sometimes difficult. Hence for prevention of age related osteoporosis calcium supplements (to be started with 500 mg/day) are indicated but then they should be taken along with vitamin D (800 iu/day)also.

Osteoporosis (condition of your bone health) is diagnosed by bone-DEXA scan. You may get it done before starting calcium supplements.

Also calcium supplements have the potential of plaque build up in the arteries & renal stones. Calcium artery scans pick up this plaque build up.

Also you should consult your cardiologist before starting calcium supplements as to the safety of calcium since you are suffering from Hypertension and heart disease and also regarding starting of daily aspirin for prevention of plaques considering your age.

Lifestyle modification for healthy life style (exercise/healthy food- lots of fruits,low salt diet, etc.) is very important for you.

I suggest you to consider starting calcium (500 mg/day)/ vit d(800 iu/day)/ along with magnesium supplements (after consultation with cardiologist). Getting your cardiovascular check up every 6 months is recommended.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Wish you Good Health.