Can syphillis be transmitted through kissing?

Can syphilis be transmitted by kissing someone? I keep seeing different opinions online and want the final word. My girlfriend was recently diagnosed with syphilis from a previous partner...Is it safe for me to kiss her or am I putting myself at risk?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi dear,

Syphilis is an STD(Sexually Transmitted disease) caused by bacteria treponema pallidum.

In general a patient with syphilis is the source of infection.
The infected person is most infectious during first 1-2 years of getting infection.

One third of person with single exposure will get infected.

Apart from sexual exposure kissing can be a mode of transfer if syphilitic lesions are present in oral cavity or even without visible lesions in oral cavity.

So in your case you are certainly at the risk of getting Syphilis even by kissing your girlfriend.

My advise to you would be to refrain from kissing her to avoid getting syphilis.

Its a good thing you have done your STD screen and I hope your report come negative.

Hope Ive answered your query will be available for any follow up queries.

Dr Sudarshan
Follow-up: Can syphillis be transmitted through kissing? 1 hour later
After receiving treatment (penicillin) how long does it take for someone to be cured from Syphilis?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 5 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

After receiving penicillin antibiotics, a test for syphilis called Rapid Plasma Reagin (RPR) needs to be repeated. When test becomes negative or titre of RPR becomes less than < 8, she is considered cured

This can take 2-4 weeks normally for this cure.

Hope this answers your query. If you do not have any further queries, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.

Dr Sudarshan