Can swollen lymph nodes in armpit and mass in liver be signs of cancer?

Hello I am very concern I went to ER with pains in the back, armpit, and left side of my breast all on the left side. I was given a ct scan with a finding of swollen lymth nodes in the armpit and a 4cm mass on my liver. I had a mammogram in October with no findings and received a certificate. I have an appointment with a sergeant on this Friday. My doctor is more concern about the swollen lymth nodes than the liver. I am very concern on what this could be and does it sound like cancer?
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: We need more information Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about these disturbing findings on your CT scan. No one receives a result suggesting findings like these and doesn't get worried. These findings can represent so many different possible conditions with some being concerning and others not. As a physician, swollen lymph nodes without a clear cause, are always considered to be the worse case scenario like cancers, until proven otherwise. I am not surprised your doctor is equally concerned by this and wants you to meet with a surgeon. For now, we would like to follow up with investigations until we get the definite answer to this. The next best step, which I guess is what the surgeon would do, is to remove one of these swollen nodes and send to the laboratory for testing. This would return with a definitive answer to this. This will leave no questions unanswered and will open a new page on the way forward. The best thing is to know what we are dealing with. No matter what it is, we shall work with you to make sure the condition is address to the very best standards of existing medical care. You shall never have to walk alone on this. Below are some short questions and answers for you. 1.Could it be cancer? Yes. 2. Is it cancer for sure? No, We don't know just yet. 3. If it is cancer, could it be breast cancer? It remains a possibility. 4. And what of the mammogram that showed no abnormality? Though the mammogram diagnoses most abnormal breast conditions, it still misses out on some. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Can swollen lymph nodes in armpit and mass in liver be signs of cancer? 13 minutes later
So if it is breast cancer and being that the liver has a mass this would mean a matarisis? Being in 3 spots would b a stage 3?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: We cannot classify without a tissue confirmation. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for following up with me. It is very difficult to talk of staging without a confirmed diagnosis. I will like to wait and get further information before moving into classification. Please, I understand how disturbing this can be but, I will like to suggest that we get cautious and work with the information we have at hand rather than making assumptions and speculating about the final diagnosis and prognosis. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Please, exercise patience and work with us to figure out the exact problem and treatment options. Dr. Ditah, MD.