Can surgery be used to replace the ileocecal valve ?

General Surgeon
Is there any surgery that could replace an ileo cecal valve?
My husband had a section of his bowel removed, along with that valve.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Arun Prasad 8 hours later

Ileocecal valve cannot be replaced as that part of intestine has been removed. The main function of Ileocecal valve is to limit the reflux from the colon into the Ileum.

He can live a normal life with that part of intestine removed. This area is important for the absorption of Vitamin B12 in the body, as this is removed he needs regular Vitamin B12 supplements which I feel his doctor would have advised.

There is a small incidence of people getting Gall stones or Temporary diarrhea after this procedure.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Wishing your husband good health.