Can suntan lotion cause bumpy red rashes over the body?

Thanks. I was in Las vegas last week, and used my friend's suntan lotion. I think it was old. It felt weird. I ended up with a bumpy red rash on my face which has gone away, but now it has spread to my arms and legs. Very itchy, almosy painful. I tried Benadryl, Allegra, Lanacain, and even calamide lotion. Nothing works. It continues to flare up..
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Sun Burn
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 34 minutes later

As you have definite history of hypersensitivity (Hay Fever). It is possible that this also due to hypersensitivity reaction.

In such cases anti-histaminics, anti-allergic may not help. You need to suppress the overall hypersensitivity in your body. This can be achieved only by systemic steroids.

So I suggest you to consult your doctor or dermatologist for the same who may after examining you may start you on a short course of systemic steroids.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.