Can sudden smoking cause sore throat?

I am not used to smoke cigars. Smoked one and a half cigars and since 12 hours I have an extreme sore throat. Anything I can do?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 40 minutes later
Hello Berna,

You had a pre existing infection of the throat/tonsils since the last few days.It was on the way to recovery when you smoked the cigar.The smoke from the cigar,when inhaled caused an aggravation of the tonsillitis.Right now,you are on the remission phase with a sore throat as remnants of the infection.This should be the final phase of the infection and ideally you should recover soon.

You need to be careful that you not aggravate the tonsillitis by factors like cold drinks,smoking etc.Watch for a couple of days to see if the sore throat improves.If it does,you dont need antibiotics.If it get worse,then you need antibiotics like Azithromycin.Warm salt water gargles several times a day will help you.Avoid cold water directly.Avoid alcohol/smoking.If you still have pain and soreness tomorrow then you should see your doctor for antibiotics.

Bear in mind that tonsillitis has a tendency to become recurrent.

Hope this answers your query,I am available for follow ups as well.