Can sudden bleeding with cramps after periods be symptoms of miscarriage?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
My period started on 11 and ended on 15 .again after 5 days in the afternoon i started bleeding with a cramp..what is this? ..i did test n one dark n one light pink line appeared
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: NEED ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Before going to answer your query, I need some additional information to assist you better and give proper guideline. 1) When did you involve in sexual intercourse? Was it unprotected? 2) Did you take any kind of emergency contraceptive pill after sex? 3) Did you have previous regular cycle? Duration of cycle? Waiting for your reply. Regards, Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Can sudden bleeding with cramps after periods be symptoms of miscarriage? 2 minutes later
Answers are1)yes2)no3)yes 30 days regular

Answered by Dr. S Patra 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: NEED TO RULE OUT POSSIBLE MISCARRIAGE. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your response. Unprotected sex always has greater chance of pregnancy. Here, we need to rule out possible MISCARRIAGE as you get 2nd time bleeding with abdominal cramp and faint positive pregnancy test. You need to undergo following investigation for confirmation: 1) Repeat the home pregnancy test or do blood test for beta-hCG. 2) One pelvic ultrasound scan (USG). Besides pregnancy, hormonal imbalance, mental stress, pelvic infection, uterine polyp etc can cause irregular bleeding. In that case, you need to consult with Gynecologist after above mentioned test for proper management. In the mean time, you can take anti-spasmodic medication like DROTN DS to reduce cramp and maintain genital hygiene. Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen You can revert back to me after doing the tests directly through WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Can sudden bleeding with cramps after periods be symptoms of miscarriage? 7 minutes later
Thanks sir ...i did the test ten times till now and every time i get one dark n one light pink line.n pelvic ultra sound report was normal i am 26 year married woman ..n as a brother please answer my querie sir Previous 2 cases of misscarriage....

Answered by Dr. S Patra 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. Very early miscarriage may be UNDETECTABLE through pelvic ultrasound scan and it is possibly terminated through your period bleeding. However, I suggest to undergo one blood test for beta-hCG level which is more reliable than home pregnancy test. If bleeding continues for another 3 to 4 days, you have to undergo one TRANS VAGINAL ULTRASOUND SCAN (TVS) to rule out retained bits or placental tissue if any. It will be more worthwhile. In that case, D & C may be required. If bleeding stops automatically, you need to monitor or repeat blood beta-hCG every 1 to 2 weeks to be assured that abortion process is completed. It is seen that serum beta-hCG level comes down to NORMAL or pre-pregnant state (< 5 mIU/ ml) within 4 to 6 weeks following natural or medical abortion. Lastly, I want to add one thing that repeated miscarriage is not good for your health. You must take regular contraceptive pill to avoid unwanted pregnancy and risk of miscarriage. Hope, I have guided you properly. Kindly, close the discussion. All the best and good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Can sudden bleeding with cramps after periods be symptoms of miscarriage? 3 minutes later
Thanks for the answer

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 minute later
Brief Answer: MOST WELCOME. Detailed Answer: You are most welcome in this platform. Regards, Dr Soumen