Can stretching of cardiac arteries cause lower abdominal pain?

I have a friend who had bilateral iliac stents placed last Thursday. Her cardiologist said all went well and seemed quite pleased with what he was able to do, but from time of her arrival to the recovery room until now she has had very significant persistent lower abdominal pain, more pronounced on the right side, which is responding only minimally to morphine. Could the pain be from the stretching of the arteries (she had previously had #6 stents which had "collapsed" and were replaced by #10 stents). If so, is there any way to anticipate what the course going forward may be like? If that's not it, any ideas or suggestions?
Thank you kindly. Ellie XXXXXXX RN, MS, CNM
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

The lower abdominal pain that your friend is having post operatively can be due to many reasons and the surgeon who operated her is the best person to judge about her post-op difficulties.
In my opinion, the pain is most likely due to the stretching of the arteries due to placement of a bigger stent and the breakage of adhesions and fibrosis which forms after every surgery. Such post operative pains are expected and if these are not controlled by morphine you can ask her surgeon to give her an epidural analgesia for relief.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.