Can stress or cold raise marker levels? Had removal of carcinoid tumor from ileum. Taking Omeprazole.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had a very small carcinoid tumor removed from my iluem three years ago.. I have had two normal marker tests and this past one was raised a little above normal. I would like to know if stress or a cold can raise the leve. I also am on omeprazole.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later

For a small carcinoid tumor of ileum, the most specific tumor marker is chromogranin A. Normal values are less than 50 ng/mL (nanograms per milliliter).
Raised levels are suggestive of a localized lesion. Highly raised levels are suggestive of metastasis.
Stress or cold or any drugs cannot cause a false rise in its levels. It is a very specific test. Abnormal readings definitely call for further investigations under the care of your gastroenterologist.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.