Can strep throat get converted to pneumonia ?

Hi, I am a 45-year old female who has been relatively healthy until recently. I am 5'2" and weigh 96 lbs. I got a vaginal yeast infection about a month ago, did not treat right away, then started noticing a cottony feeling in my mouth. My OBGYN started me on Diflucan which got rid of the yeast infection, yet I was still troubled with a white coating on my tongue and dry mouth. My GP ran some bloodwork and throat cultures to rule out anything serious. My Hep A&B, HIV and diabetes came out fine. CBC was normal. CMP - everything was normal, except blood protein was slightly elevated (8.4 - XXXXXXX is 8.3). My throat culture came back yesterday and turned up Strep C bacteria. Apparently, this strain of strep is relatively uncommon in humans and is typically found in livestock.....very odd as I have not been near any farm animals. I started taking Keflex yesterday for the strep. My primary question relates to the possibility of the strep turning into pneumonia. Sometimes, when I am taking meds, I don't swallow properly and accidentally aspirate a little water into my lungs. This happened twice today. What is the likelihood the strep got inhaled into my lungs?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Goyal 11 hours later

From the details provided to me, I understand that you are suffering from streptococcal group C antibiotic for that.

I don’t think there is going to be any problem if diagnosis is correct, if the antibiotic choice is based on culture and sensitive report. If culture and sensitivity had not been done ask your doctor to get it done and act accordingly.

Once you are on antibiotics for the infection then you don't have to worry regarding the infection spread to the lungs as the antibiotics would take care of infections involving different parts. Aspiration of infected material in lungs may lead to aspiration pneumonia.

Take your medication properly avoiding aspiration or ask your doctor for dispersible tablet or injectables.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Wishing you a early recover

Follow-up: Can strep throat get converted to pneumonia ? 11 hours later
Thank you for your answer to my previous question. I do have an additional question. Since being on the Keflex for Strep C, I have noticed my thrush symptoms returning. I'm afraid if I take another round of diflucan, it may be hard on my liver or the candida may be resistant to it. I am already taking a daily probiotic, am not eating sugar, no dairy products (besides greek yogurt) and cutting back on grains. I have not cut out coffee, however. Do you have any other recommendations for keeping the candida at bay or, in your opinion, should I refill my Diflucan? Also, given I have always been healthy (I workout and do not eat processed foods), should I be concerned something serious is wrong me given my recent bouts with yeast infection, thrush and Strep C, especially with my blood protein being slightly elevated or is it possible this could all be caused by some recent stress I am going through?
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Goyal 8 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Regarding oral thrush, if diagnosis is correct, then local application of fluconazole drops will help in solving the problem instead of oral tablets which does not have significant side effects and is quite effective.

You need not go in for a Diflucan refill. Your doctor will agree with me.

I do not feel there is a major health concern with you. Be reassured that you will be fine soon.

Well, it can be due to the recent stress that you are going through as you said.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.