Can stopping alcohol consumption help in reversing liver ailment,if any?

I had a physical about a month ago. had cbc, liver function tests, thyroid blood work done. all tests came back normal but slightly elevated bilirubin. doctor said to repeat next time I come in which she said in a year. I drink daily and sometimes probably too much but eat healthy and exercise. I feel fine. I have noticed the skin around my eyes a little yellow but whites of eyes are white. i am worried something is wrong with my liver due to drinking alcohol. should i follow up sooner with my dr? i recently quit drinking and plan to stick with it. if i have liver disease can this be reversed?
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes, it can reverse if it in fatty liver stage Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting HealthcareMagic! I can understand your concern. Based on the information you have given- liver function tests and only slight elevation of bilirubin, hints that you do not have serious liver disease which is irreversible. Liver disease due to alcohol occurs in different stages of which fatty liver and cirrhosis of liver are important stages. Fatty liver when appropriately managed by quitting alcohol and by other approaches is reversible. However, once if it reaches cirrhosis of liver, it is irreversible. I do not think that you do not have irreversible liver disease. For reassurance, you can also undergo and ultrasound of abdomen to confirm. However, follow up about your slightly elevated bilirubin as there are other causes for it. Hope I have answered your query. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!
Follow-up: Can stopping alcohol consumption help in reversing liver ailment,if any? 19 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Vasanth. I am confused by your response? you wrote "I do not think that you do not have irreversible liver disease." did you mean you think I do have irreversible liver disease or I do not? from what you wrote above I think you meant do not - but want to check as I am concerned. I will follow up with my dr. - but are slight elevations in bilirubin generally serious thank you.
Answered by Dr. Guru 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Refer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Extremely sorry. It was my typing mistake. I meant - I do not think that you have an irreversible liver disease. Sorry again for the confusion. Take care!