Ask a Urologist   »  

Can stinging in urethra, itchy meatus of penis and occasional inflammation be indications of STD?

Itching and slight stinging of urethra/meatus of penis, with some redness and occasional inflammation. There is neither discolored discharge nor any other symptoms to speak of. Only said risk is from sexual intercourse with an STI free woman in which a condom broke roughly 14 days ago. Correction, STI status unknown
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Precautionary clinical evaluation and tests needed Detailed Answer: Hello, Though your symptoms are not strong pointer towards any STI , but in such cases its always better to act proactively. In your case I would suggest you to get a clinical examination done by doctor and get screening done for STDs.Some of the common STD like chlamydia, gonorrhea ,trichomoniasis, syphilis, herpes and hepatitis B etc need to be excluded. However few STDs may take sometime to show up on lab test. Usually in such cases most major concern is about HIV.It is important to know, however, that it may take up to six months after exposure to the HIV virus before you will test positive on an HIV antibody test.Although most infected people will test positive within 3 months. Moreover HIV doesn't show any symptoms in such a short duration of 2 weeks. So your present symptoms are not because of HIV , that is sure. So I think you should see a doctor sooner and after clinical examination he/she can guide you regarding investigations. Please ask if you want me to explain anything. Regards
Follow-up: Can stinging in urethra, itchy meatus of penis and occasional inflammation be indications of STD? 1 hour later
Update: As of the incident, both persons had recently tested negative for chlamydia, gonnorhea, syphillis and HIV. Additionally, both persons are up-to-date with Hep A and B vaccinations. There don't appear to be any open lesions or scabs either. Given said update, would you're aforementioned course of action be advisable?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Short course of antibiotics. Detailed Answer: In that case, I would recommend a short course of antibiotics to see if this clears off the current symptoms. Urethritis would be my primary concern, if there is no possibility of STI. Regards