Can statins or any other drug affect finger nails?

Do Statins, or any of the other drugs I take,affect finger nails?
My nails are lifting, white, brittle and painful.I have been treated twice for a supposed fungal infection but there is no improvement, and I have been suffering from this condition for nearly three years. I take 40mgs. of Atoravastatin, generic Lipitor, daily.
I also take 150mcg Levothyroxine for hypothyroidism, Amantadine fror MS fatigue, and 75mg Trazadone for sleep. Could it be something in the generic drugs I have been presscibed since joining Kaiser Permante?
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 4 hours later
Hi there, thanks for asking. Brittle nails which could also be painful are part of the low thyroid function which you have. In many cases, very accurate adjustment of the hormone supplement is possible only after several testing of thyroid function. your fatigue also may show that your hormonal supplement is not enough. It does not seem to be related to your medications.
However, you may also have some fungal infection. The way you and the doctor can get for sure if you have fungal infection is that the specimen is sent to the laboratory for checking.
I wish you a good health.