Can splenda harm spleen and pancreas?

Question
Hi Dr,
I am a 20 yr RN and OCN. Is splenda harmful to the spleen and pancreas? My brother in-law is a pharm D at the University of Iowa, and has, for several years, told me to quit the diet coke. I have tried to research adverse effects of splenda. Is it truly condidered a carcinogen also? Can you direct me to scietific studies, so I can share this information wih others?
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX
Splenda contains sucralose an artificial swetener. Sucralose has been found to be quite safe and not a carcinogen. Based on more than 100 animal and clinical studies it was found not to be carcinogenic. It s been spproved for use by most health regulatory agencies in the world including FDA and EU. Regarding diet coke there are other things apart from sucralose whose safety is not clearly established. So I think your bro in law is not wrong in saying so. But as far splenda is concerned which only contains sucralose safety is not an issue. Google sucralose and you will find a lot of information.
Hope this helps.
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Can splenda harm spleen and pancreas? 47 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX
your information has been helpful!

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 33 minutes later
my pleasure.