Can spleenectomy cause hair loss? Had complications of seroma and blood loss

can splenectomy cause hair loss i lost my spleen during paraesophegeal repair the spleen had apparantly migrated with the stamach and during the retrieval of the stomach the spleen was torn loose and began bleeding and could notnbe stopped, other bcomplications included a large seroma which took five weeks to resolve and a peg line that took two weeks to stop leaking. the splenectomy story seemed very suspect to me! lost between two and three units of blood nursing staff was not told about these complications until my husband made them aware?
Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 51 minutes later

Thanks for your query. I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

After going through your symptoms and past medical history I feel this is related to a condition known as "telogen effluvium". This is a condition characterized by thinning / shedding of hair resulting from the early entry of hairs into the telogen phase. Here, sudden or stressful event (including major surgeries, blood loss and worries) causes hair follicles to prematurely stop growing and enter into a resting phase. Hair that stay in the resting phase for about 3 months start to shed. Usually large amount of hair starts to shed during this time.

This is a reactive process and hair loss is temporary. It should resolve spontaneously and you should soon recover. Rarely if it persists any other underlying cause needs to be considered and fixed.

I understand you are concerned with what is happening with your hair. Do not worry. You should recover soon. In the meantime good nutrition, destressing (exercise, meditation and physical exercise) and proper sleep might help you. If the proper persists, you need to be evaluated for anemia and thyroid disturbances.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope I have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer