Can sperms from a dead person be taken for fertilisation?

I watched once on TV that a woman asked for her dead boyfriend's sperms to be taken out and kept so she could have kids with him later. Does that ever happen in real life and if so how soon after someone dies does the sperm need to be taken out?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Preservation of sperms is possible and is being done in sperm banks. But taking a semen sample even if taken immediately after death may not be of that good quality.
In living people at least two to three semen samples are collected with three days abstinence in between each sample collection.
A consent is also necessary from the person whose sperms are collected. The collection of sperms is possible but for its preservation in the sperm banks, a consent from the person is a must which cannot be taken from a person who is dead.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.