Can sperms come out after intercourse? Follicular study not helping. What can?

Question
Hi , we are married for the past two years and have been trying for a baby since the last 7- 8 months .
At the end of the intercourse , I feel that there is something which comes out of my vagina and this becomes a XXXXXXX as well in my bed spread …. My husband says that I am keeping my leg and my hip stiff because of which the sperms are the ones which is coming out . Is it right ? I feel that I am not keeping my leg stiff and its not sperm which is coming out ? Is it because of this I am unable to concieve ? Is the intercourse not a successful one because of which i have this outflow ? Please help / advice ? For the last three months , I have been also doing follicular study to time our intercourse and still it has not been succeeful .. My husband strongly feels its because that all sperms are coming out and not reaching the right place because of leg and hip being stiff ? Please advice … I wish atleast the forthcming follicular study clicks !!!
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

This discharge which is coming out seems like semen or the normal vaginal discharge. For conception, try having intercourse every month around your ovulation days as it is the best time for conceiving. Ovulation is the release of a single, mature egg from a follicle that developed in the ovary.

After intercourse, do not wash immediately and keep on lying for some time. You can also keep a pillow under your buttocks so that semen does not come out.

Semen coming out is quite normal finding in all the fertile couples and this does not affect the fertility. But a single sperm if sufficient for fertilization, if it travels up the cervix and fallopian tubes. So it is less likely that this is the sole reason for you not conceiving.

If still you are unable to conceive, then other causes of primary infertility should be explored. Common causes of infertility in female are Endometriosis, ovulation problem, pelvic inflammatory disease, poor egg quality, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, damaged or blocked fallopian tubes etc.

In male reason for infertility are related to sperm (azoospermia, oligospermia), problem with sperm delivery, due to sexual dysfunction, and an obstruction etc. Hence complete work up has to be done with you and your husband to know the underlying cause for which you should consult a fertility expert.

Eat a diet that includes whole, unprocessed foods. The best foods for health in general, and also for sperm count problems, are whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seed. Avoid alcohol, smoking, take more of proteins and fresh vegetables. Minerals like zinc & selenium, amino acids like l-carnitine, and antioxidants like Vitamin C and Vitamin E are also very crucial to sperm health.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Can sperms come out after intercourse? Follicular study not helping. What can? 23 hours later
Thank you doctor ... I have been consulting a gynic for the last three months ... i have been put on ovalution drugs and also injection for rupture of follicles . However in this month , my period flow was not good (lasted hardly for a pad) and thus when consulted it was found through inter vaginal scan that one of the follicle was not reuptured because of which the same has become a cyst and period was partial .. i have been now given MODUS for getting my complete period and check whether my CYST has disappeared ..... i am worried one thing .. my husband say that what comes out of is only sperm .. this happens even after keeping apillow and keeping legs in air for sometime with a help of a bench ... secondly that my body is undergoing a lot of changes like what is mentioned above which i have never expperienced before .. Is there anyway to ensure that what comes out of my vagina is not sperm but only fluid and other options to ensure that the timed intercourse using follicluar study is successful .... please help ...

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 8 hours later
Thanks for writing back to me.

I would like to reassure again that, the fluid coming out of the vagina after the sexual intercourse if a normal finding. It happens to everyone with a healthy sexual life. You need not worry about this issue at all.

As mentioned earlier, only one sperm fertilizes the egg. And with each sexual act there will be millions of sperms released into the vagina. So stop worrying about this fluid.

Have a stress free mental state throughout your menstrual cycle. Even with everything normal it does take some time to concieve.

Feeling happy and positive about the act of sexual intercourse helps tremendously to have a stress free and good sexual relation, this positive attitude helps in conception.

You can get the discharge examined under the microscope to find out whether it is sperm or normal vaginal discharge. Also if you are timing your intercourse using follicular study then when you fall pregnant, you have to keep an eye on the symptoms of pregnancy and also do a urine for pregnancy test.

There are sensitive urine and serum pregnancy tests which can detect hcg levels as low as 20 Miu for urine and 5 Miu for serum hcg test, as early as 8 to 12 days post ovulation. You can get them done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Can sperms come out after intercourse? Follicular study not helping. What can? 41 hours later
Thank you doctor ... feel positive after reading your revert ... Just one final clarification ... sorry for writing in bits and pieces ... i have been gaining the last three since thje time i am on ovalution drugs ... must have gained around 4-5 kgs in the last three months ... Is it normal to gain weight ??? I really do not want to go to gym for work out at this point of time as i feel its not very safe ... Is gain weight normal or do i need to really take up some check at this point .... thank you once again doctor..

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 18 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Weight gain is a side effect of the ovulation drugs with less than 1% of women reporting weight changes while taking these drugs. So these drugs may be responsible for the weight gain and it does not look like to be due to any medical cause.

I will be happy to answer your queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.