Can sperm survive on dry surfaces in the open?

Infertility Specialist
Hi, can sperm survive on dry surfaces in the open? I had nightfall some days ago and might have touched the tip of my penis and then accidentally touched a toothpaste tube with that hand. I am worried that if some female uses that tube and then touches her vagina then can the sperms make their way through the vaginal canal ? A female entered the bathroom 1 min after I came out. Do sperm live under such condition ?
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your query and I understand your concerns. Following is my reply: 1) Sperms cannot survive out side body and retain motility for long time. 2) When they come in to contact with a surface it looses its integrity especially like water or in bathroom. 3) The female you mentioned may not be pregnant as you presume by touching tooth paste tube Sperms cant enter vagina Let me know if you have anymore questions. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Can sperm survive on dry surfaces in the open? 40 hours later
Hello, thank you for your response. What I was concerned about is that the tube was in a dry environment, there was no water present. In this small amount of seminal fluid on the tube, can the sperm then survive in the fluid in the open air. If a woman manages to get some fluid on her hands and then touch her vagina then can the sperm in the fluid travel through the vaginal canal. I have been told before that fluid must be sufficient and sperm die very quickly sometimes even before the entire fluid has completely dried. The amount of fluid in this case is very little since I only touched the tip of my penis. I know this sounds like a hypothetical question but I was worried about it.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 16 hours later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi Sperm would have died in seconds in such dry place that too contaminated. Even if small amount remains on it this will not be sufficient to cause pregnancy. Hence don't worry about it. Regards