Can sperm motility be increased?

Infertility Specialist
Doctor ...I want to know whether sperm motility can be increased or not period of abstinence : 03 days sperm count : 25 millions/ml progr motility : 10 % non prog motitlity: 80% non motile : 10 % pH : 8.0 Vol: 5 ml Normal Morphology: 30 % Agglutination: Present Please infer the results and advice accordingly..
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sperm count & motility are variable. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Sperm count & motility can vary in the same person from time to time. So single semrn analysis is never the final result. You can repeat it once more after a week or two after 2-3 days of abstinence to know exact status. Coming to your semen analysis report, volume of 5ml is good(high) as it can compensate for low count & motility. But rarely high volume can indicate infection of prostate which can cause low motility. If your second semen analysis report comes same, you can get one semen culture done to rule out infection. Apart from infection, varicocele (backflow of blood in testes) is a treatable cause which can cause low motility. You can get yourself examined by urologist/andrologist to rule out varicocele if second semen analysis shows low motility. Other than that hormonal disturbances can cause low motility, but that is not very common. Apart from treating infection, varicocele & hormonal disturbances, treatment of low motility is emperical. It consists of avoiding hot baths, avoiding exposing genitalia to high temperatures, avoiding smoking & alcohol and taking diet rich in antioxidants: plenty of fruits & dry fruits OR nutritional supplements. So one simple plan for you can be: lifestyle modification as mentioned above for two weeks & recheck semen analysis after two weeks. Only if results are abnormal, to go for investigation & treatment of the same. Your viral fever episode might be one cause if fever was prolonged (>101`F for more than 48 hours or so). If fever was more than 48 hours or so, please repeat semen analysis after 3 months rather than two weeks. Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have other concerns. Wish you good health. Regards.
Follow-up: Can sperm motility be increased? 1 hour later
Thank you so much Dr. Dattaprasad...I had fever between 100 - 102 F continously for 4-5 days (15 dec 13 to 19 dec 13) and was taking a herbal cough expectorant during that period. Right after that for one week i.e. from 20 dec 13 I had one back spasm issue for which I was taking ibrufen 400 mg and following it up with regular dosage of chyawanaprash. Will these medications cause any variance?
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Medications won't cause variance. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. Medications you took/are taking won't have effect on semen analysis, but fever could have. Better to repeat semen analysis after 3 months, in March or April. In the meanwhile continue to follow lifestyle modifications as advised. Wish you good health. Regards.
Follow-up: Can sperm motility be increased? 26 minutes later
Thanks again Dr. Dattaprasad...will follow as per your advice..
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Welcome. Detailed Answer: You are most welcome. It was a pleasure assisting you in decision making. Wish you good health. Kindly don't forget to rate answer. Regards.
Follow-up: Can sperm motility be increased? 37 minutes later
Sure Dr. Dattaprasad..will rate the answer for sure if you tell me how do I rate ?one last query though..does frequent masturbation has any effect on reduced sperm motility???
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: No effect. Detailed Answer: Hi, Frequent masturbation has no effect on sperm count & motility. Just make sure that you maintain 2-3 days of abstinence (which includes abstinence from masturbation) to get correct report. Regards.