Can spasm of the esophagus cause fainting?

can a spastic esohogous cause fainting ive had the pain in brest bone area lasted 5or 10 minutes break out in swat i fainted both times the doctot did a nuclear scan and ok had stent put in november i was ex er sising when i got he pain i bee getting them before the sent the doctor feels its a spastic eshopagus i had something cold abou hour before i had gi serious have lap band ok now im going for endosicpic upper nowone knows whats wrong with me i feel like a time bomb waiting tto drop dead
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand the pain and agony you’re going through. You see the pain in the middle of the chest can be produced by both the coronary artery disease (angina pain) as well as due to the spasm (sustained contractions) of the esophagus.

However, the possibility of fainting is more likely due to the coronary artery disease. I feel that firstly the coronary artery disease needs to be ruled out by doing a coronary angiography/stress thallium scan.

Once the heart status is okay, then only one should direct one’s attention towards the spastic esophagus/GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). In GERD, there's a reflux of the acid from the stomach into the esophagus.

It’s important to rule out the cardiac disease first as it can be life threatening compared to the esophagus/gastric problem.

There are certain specific tests to rule out spastic esophagus like manometry in which the pressure inside the esophagus is measured along with the upper GI endoscopy to look for any ulcers in the esophagus, stomach and upper part of the intestine.

The treatment will depend upon the underlying cause. I sincerely feel that firstly you should see a cardiologist and then a gastroenterologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.