Can sore throat and chronic cough be signs of larynx cancer?

ENT Specialist
Two months ago I had a cold and cough. The cough has not gone away. It started as a hacking cough and now it is like I have to clear my throat. Now I have a sore throat. I took a course of antibiotics but this did not affect it. I am really worried about cancer of the larynx. What do you think?
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Video Laryngoscopy. Medication. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. Get a Video Laryngoscopy done. This will help rule out nay laryngeal tumor, pre-cancerous lesion or cancer. 2. Since most colds are viral or allergic, antibiotics alone may only help to reduce secondary bacterial infection. 3. Your sore throat and frequent need to clear the throat may be due to a post nasal drip or acid reflux. 4. Sometimes, mixed viral colds may lead to prolonged coughs lasting many weeks. A Hyper-reactive airway may result. This may require supportive medication in the form of cough suppressants , anti allergic medications, steam inhalation and medicated gargles. 5. Cancer is likely to cause progressive symptoms such as a change in the voice, difficulty in swallowing, breathlessness, blood in the sputum, enlarged lymph nodes in the neck and so on. Throat cancer is rare. Hence there is no cause for worry. A regular follow up will help. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them. Regards.