Can someone suffering from Gilbert's syndrome take contraceptive pills?

Question
can someone suffering from XXXXXXX syndrome take contraceptive pills?
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 29 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The defect in function related to the metabolism of certain medications in Gilbert's syndrome is an issue with regard to the estrogen in birth control pills. A better option for someone like you would be to talk with your doctor about an IUD. These are safe alternatives to birth control pills, and there is a new one on the market, called XXXXXXX that is smaller and more appropriate for women who have not had kids. That being said, the Mirena or Paraguard IUDs could also be used in your case. This should be placed by an OB/GYN.

Let me know if this helps.

Follow-up: Can someone suffering from Gilbert's syndrome take contraceptive pills? 8 minutes later
i would like to know if i could use contraceptive pills because i do not want an IUD.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Thank you and sorry for the delay.

I guess I should have made clear, based on my research into Gilbert's syndrome and the problem related to metabolism of estrogen, that birth control pills are not a good idea in your case. Also, there is an increased risk of gallbladder disease with GS and would be made worse by the birth control pill.

So, if I had a patient such as yourself, I would probably recommend against the birth control pill.

Does this help?

Follow-up: Can someone suffering from Gilbert's syndrome take contraceptive pills? 2 hours later
What about the progesterone only pill?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 0 minute later
Based on my research, it seems as though the main concern is regarding the metabolism of estrogen. I would think that either a progesterone only pill OR the depo-provera shot would be appropriate for you.

This should be double-checked with your OB/GYN. Good luck!

Follow-up: Can someone suffering from Gilbert's syndrome take contraceptive pills? 12 hours later
but progesterone only pill does not contain estrogen. so why not taking it then?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 24 minutes later
I think you are misunderstanding me.

I am saying that a progesterone only pill would probably be okay as a form of birth control for you.

I never said that the progesterone only pill contains estrogen - it does not contain estrogen.

I sincerely hope that this helps you!