Can smoking marijuana raise my alk phosphate level? How long to stop before blood test?

can smoking marijuana raise my alk phosphate level? if so, how long do i need to stop smoking before a blood test
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 55 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern.

I'm sorry to say that there are no extensive studies conducted in this regard and the literature available has no clear cut information regarding the toxic effects of marijuana use on the liver.

But yes, its long term use can definitely can have effects on the liver because the majority of this compound is metabolized in the liver to its inactive forms.

So theoretically, Yes marijuana can cause an elevation the liver enzymes like Alkaline phosphatase levels.

It is never good to smoke or use cannabis in any form. So I urge you to stop its use right away. And I request you to seek help from a counselor to help you deal with the issue.

It might take as long as three months for the liver enzyme levels to become normal.

Hope I have answered your query. You can write back to me if you have any doubts.