Can smoking causes to have blood in mucus while spitting up?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have been spitting up mucus with a small amount of blood (rusty colored) one time per day for the last 12 days. I do smoke - How worried should i be - am too scared to go to my doctor. silly i know.
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It would be best to see a doctor. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Coughing up blood is not normal and is usually a sign of disease. It can happen after a bout of prolonged coughing but as you have experienced this for 12 days, you should see a doctor. If you have signs of infection such as feeling unwell or a fever, you may have a chest infection. Chronic lung conditions such as bronchitis or bronchiectasis may produce blood in your sputum. Lung cancer needs to be excluded. Your doctor may wish to carry out blood tests and scans to help with diagnosis. I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA