Ask a Dentist   »  

Can smoking cause small patches on my cheeks?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
For the past 10 days I have had these small patches on my cheeks. Initially they were completely white but now a couple of them have developed a reddish depression in the center. They are completely painless and soft in nature. They seem to be restricted only to the top layer and are not very XXXXXXX Also I noticed today that a couple of smaller patches have developed near my wisdom tooth which has been impartially erupted for quite a while now. However, these patches did not start near the wisdom tooth, but made their way towards it. Also I am a regular smoker. I do not know if the same will cause the problem to occur.

Any suggestions?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Smaller pathches near Wisdom tooth may be because of smoking, sharp teeth in the region or upper wisdom tooth directing toowards cheek or normal bite line usually seen on the cheek at the level of upper and lower teeth contact.

It is better to consult the dentist so that the precipitating factors of the patches can be assertained and removed. It is better to stop smoking at the earliest. If teeth are causing the problem, the causative factors can be eliminated but however the pathches may remain harmessly for longtime and have to be observed regularly for their size, extension, secondary changes like ulcer, pain.

If it is just normal bite XXXXXXX which is called Linea XXXXXXX it is harmless.

As for as the lesions on the cheek is concerned, it is better to consult Dermatologist for the opinion.
He can also rule out the chances of intra-oral manifestations of the skin lesion [which is not likely]

Wish you a Speedy recovery.

Dr.Ramesh B.Hegde,
Follow-up: Can smoking cause small patches on my cheeks? 2 hours later
Hello Dr. Hegde,

Thank you for your reply. I would just like to confirm whether is white patches near the wisdom tooth are a pressing issue. As I am in a position to avail much cheaper dental care after about two months time. So would it be possible to wait until then or should I see a dentist immediately?

Regards and thank you for your reply in advance.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 4 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

If the pathches do not have any symptoms, then you can wait for 2 months. Quit the smoking habit at the earliest.

Wish you speedy recovery.