Can small lump in middle and upper abdomen be symptoms of hernia?

Hello. My son is almost 2 years old. I noticed he has a small lump in the middle, upper part of his abdomen (above belly button). He is acting fine, is active and does not give any indications that it bothers. I am worried that it can be a hernia or something worse. Is this something serious?
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: It can be small hernia or lipoma. Detailed Answer: Hello, Such a symptomless small lump in that region arises suspicion of two possibilities.First is a small hernia or a lipoma. If on pressing it is reducing in size then its hernia and if it feels rubbery or slips under your finger then its likely to be lipoma.Lipoma is localised collection of fat tissue.Both cases are not much to be worried about.A clinical examination and if need soft part sonography can be undertaken for this. You can bring to notice of his doctor when you visit for something else.I dont see any emergency in this.Please ask if there are doubts. Regards.