Can slipping in tub and having injury on shoulder and back harmful during pregnancy?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am 5 weeks pregnant and slipped in the tub two days ago! I landed on the side on the tub on my lower back and hit my shoulder on the counter beside the tub. Now I am having pains in middle left side of my back and it even hurts when I cough or take deep breath!
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Nothing serious can happen from such minor injury. Pain after 2,3 days is typical for spine and rib contusions and even if there is rib fracture it is treated only by rest,ice and painkillers. Very rarely some lung damage or vertebral fractures occur but it would be manifested by some other symptoms right after injury. Also,this cant be harmful for pregnancy.So i dont think that you need to visit doctor since all you can do is xray which is not recommended in pregancy. you shoud just rest and be patient,it will pass in next several days. You can take low doses of nonsteroid painkillers or low doses of muscle relaxants. Pain during deep breathing or cough is also typical and you should visit doctor only if there is breathing difficulty, loss of sensation in arms or chest pain. wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards