Can sinus,sore throat or allery cause pounding pressure in the head?

Hi - I am really concerned, it is about the 6th night of pounding pressure at the back of my head, its worst at night. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure 2 days ago and prescribed medication which I have been taking for 2 days. My BP was 150/90. I am female, 41. The pressure/pounding has not gone away. My doctor said it couldnt be sinus as he looked into my ears and nose & said there was no sign of sinus inflammation. I am confused as my ears are also sore and my throat also sore on and off and I am suffering from seasonal allergies and have very itchy eyes etc. What could the cause be of the pounding head if not the BP?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 5 hours later
Hi Shelli,

Thanks for the query

Headache has many causes , I would want to list them out here.

2.Cluster headache
4.High Blood Pressure
5.Arterial aneurysms involving circulation in the brain
6. Hemorrhage in the intracranial region
7.Meningitis : viral, bacterial or tubercular
8.Glaucoma: an eye related condition usually manifesting with severe headache due to rise in the intraocular pressure/pressure in the eye .
9.Side effects of some drugs like hormone pills containing estrogen,etc
10.Temporal Arteritis : an inflammation of the vessels of the head causing severe throbbing headache common in 50 yr old and above.

In your case, I feel it is the high blood pressure which has led to the pounding headache, I suggest you continue the blood pressure medicine regularly and keep monitoring your blood pressure. I also suggest you to try and reduce stress and worry and make sure you get good sleep every night.

Acute sinusitis can lead to headache, Sinusitis can be picked up from an allergy which leads to cold , cough and increase secretions form the sinuses,I suggest you get an examination done from an ENT doctor and get a course of antibiotics if you have sinusitis .

I would also suggest you to visit an OPHTHALMOLOGIST for an eye examination to rule out glaucoma, vision errors and migraine.

If the headache does not come down, get back to your physician for further medicines to treat the headache and you may need to undergo some blood tests too.

I hope I answered your questions , I am available to answer the follow up questions as well