Can shortsightedness be related to a compressed nerve in spine? Done plasma laser discoplasty surgery

Ophthalmologist
Question
Hi
I am47 yrs old and now a litle bit shortisighted about (1.5 & 1.5 both eyes V/A 6/6) and am wondering if this can be in any way related to a ocmpressed nerve I have in the C6/7/8 area of my spine. I had a pucutneous plasma laser discoplasty surgery there 3 yrs ago). Will this effect my eyes or eye sight in any way?
I can send you retinal JPGs if necessary
Thanks
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXX,
thanks for sending your query to us.
What you have is what we call as presbyopia.This occurs due to hardening of lens due to age ,thereby loosing focusing for near.Progressively increasing power of convex lenses are to be given and the power keeps on increasing every 2 years approx.
This is in no way related to your nerve compression.
Any further problem please do get back to us

Follow-up: Can shortsightedness be related to a compressed nerve in spine? Done plasma laser discoplasty surgery 17 hours later
Thanks for clarifying that - my only other question is whether taking off my glasses for close work reduces the shortsightedness progression. ALthough this makes sense to me as re exercising the eyes (for want of a better word) I have heard two school of thought as to whehter this is true or not. Can you advise re this?
Thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later
Dear XXXXXX,
Thanks for getting back to us.
Contrary to what meny people say,if you keep using glasses all the time the cilliary muscle which is responsible for your reading effort,is ,as you rightly say,not exercised.This muscle has a total range of 3 diopter power.
I am running in 59 yrs and have no power for distance and do not need any reading glass.I do have a bit of difficulty but i know if i start reading glasses then i will be rapidly loosing the capacity to read without glasses.
Try to maintain the natural capability of body and of course use glasses whenever you need to do fine work.
Please do get back to me in case of any query.

Is there any way my nerve compression would efect my eyesight but in a different way?

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 15 hours later
Dear XXXXXX,

In your case nerve compression will not have any effect on your eye sight. They are independent of each other.

Feel free to conact me if you have any further queries.