Can shortness of breath during workout is matter of concern?

My son is 25 and very physically fit. He is 5'8 and approx. 164 lbs. He does strenuous cross fit workouts 4 days a week. He is complaining of shortness of breath during workout today and as well this evening. Should we be in the emergency room?
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into the query I will like to tell you that in my opinion he should go for a check up . There can be many reasons for breathlessness , both cardiac and lung problems can give rise to them . Getting breathless at such young age needs thorough evaluation . Only after auscultation of heart and chest we can get a clue that the systems are working normally or there is some issue so physical examintion is required . Probably a chest Xray , and a ECG with 2D ECHO will also be needed to rule out any pathology . Only after deciding the disease treatment will be prescribed . You should see a doctor early . Take care. Dr. Shruti