Can severe itching be caused by the mesh used for hernia surgery?

Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 37 minutes later

The mesh used in the hernial repair is usually made of Marlex or proline.Both the polymers are inert and do not elicit an immune response.They do not cause any reaction to produce itching.

The itching if it is over the hernia surgery wound, could be due to stretching of the skin or due to the bandage used to close the wound.

I shall be more specific in my opinion, if you can provide me some more details like

When did you undergo the surgery ?
Are there any lesions around the surgery wound ?
Do you feel itchy over the wound or around it ?

Waiting for your response,

Follow-up: Can severe itching be caused by the mesh used for hernia surgery? 5 minutes later
The itching is very severe, I draw blood from scratching so much, it is all over my body. It just comes. Welts form and then they go away, this is driving me crazey. Something has got to be causing this. It just starts for no reason. thanks for your answer.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

The generalised itching you have is typically seen in allergies due to foreign material either inside or over the body.

But its very rare for the mesh to produce such a reaction.Do consult the surgeon who operated on you and get examined to rule out allergies due to any other material used during the surgery.Do it as soon as possible.

Wish you good health.