Can redness and cyst in cervix be symptoms of cervical cancer?

Mar 2013
I had some spotting after my period. I had a normal smear result 6 months ago. I saw my doctor today who said my cervix was slightly red and I had cysts on the cervix. She also said my cervix was slighy misshapen. I have sn 8 year old daughter and I gave birth vaginally. Terrified I may have cervical cancer.
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: CANNOT BE CANCER Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Could you upload your doctor's notes here ? So that I could have more clarity ? From what you say it appears that you have a mild cervical infection. It could also be a cervical erosion. This can cause the redness you mention. Also cysts on the cervix are generally quite harmless. The gland mouths get plugged, leading to small collection of secretion - these are called Nabothian cysts. They are quite harmless I assure you. The cervix does get slightly altered in texture , size and shape after a vaginal childbirth. Do not worry. If you had cervical cancer, your doctor would have told you so outright. Also, you would not have had a normal smear. Also, could you tell me what has the doctor prescribed for you after examining you ? Also, go for a repeat Pap smear - that will clarify matters. Do not think of the extremes yet ! All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: Can redness and cyst in cervix be symptoms of cervical cancer? 15 minutes later
Not sure if you got my follow up question?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 0 minute later
Brief Answer: WRITTEN BELOW Detailed Answer: No, I haven't.
Follow-up: Can redness and cyst in cervix be symptoms of cervical cancer? 2 minutes later
My doctor has referred me to a specialist. Can the cervical screening pick up cells that are already cancerous as well as pre cancerous cells? If I already had cervical cancer would the screening have detected it? Also I did accidentally put a second tampon in and had to use a bit of force to get it in. I did wonder why it was difficult. Could I have caused the redness to the cervix and bleeding by doing this?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Yes, cervical screening can pick up pre cancerous cells as well. If you already had cervical cancer, the screening would have picked it up. It should be combined with an endometrial biopsy also, as part of the cervix is inside the uterine cavity, thus inaccessible to screening with the Pap smear. Yes, you could have abraded the lining of the cervix by using force. However, since the shape of the cervix is altered and there are Nabothian cysts, it is more likely to be a chronic condition. Take care.