Can re-used condoms cause HIV?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Hello - 17 days ago i received oral sex with a condom at a massage parlor. The condom that was used came from her pocked and was wrapped in a tissue, not in the package. If the condom was used before and reused on me, is there a risk of contracting hiv? I have had a sore throat and body aches for the last 7 days. I had a viral load hiv test done after 1 week which came back negative. Should i be concerned? I did not feel semen in the condom. Would the hiv live in the condom from the previous user if it were a lapsed amount of time? Thanks
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You don't worry.You are perfectly safe. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX You don't worry.You are perfectly safe. There is no chance of getting HIV virus even if condom was previously used.HIV virus can't live outside the human body.Virus will die in external environment. Sore throat may be due to infection.You can take antibiotics like tablet Roxithromycin 150 mg twice daily for five days.You can gargle also with warm water. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Can re-used condoms cause HIV? 8 hours later
Hello- thanks for response. So even if the previous user had hiv ad semen remains there is no risk? Is a follow up test needed in 4 weeks for hiv? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: There is no risk at all. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back There is no risk at all even if previous user had HIV. You don't need any follow up tests. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Can re-used condoms cause HIV? 3 hours later
Thank you. Where are you a doctor and what is your specialty? Any other doctors can confirm your thoughts?

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back You can view my public profile for complete details. Answer provided by me is to the best of my knowledge. Should you like to have the same query to be answered by a different doctor, please contact customer care at health care magic. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX