Can rashes and swelling on face be indications of rosacea?

I have a history of eczema ,n I have a recent episode of it again due to pressure... ,then I went to a local dermatologist n had it cured,but then rashes n swellings appeared all over my face,n my doctor said it was due to obstruction of the hair follicles by sebum,followed by bacterial infection... n he said that I got Roseia ,what's that ? Is he correct ?
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. The description provided is a bit vague to reach a particular diagnosis. Firstly it has to be seen whether you developed eczema or urticaria due to pressure. Eczema is characterised by itchy skin rashes that are red and scaly Urticaria is characterised by wheals or red itchy raised/flat lesions that are temporary and evanscent. One can easily differentiate between these two by seeing the lesion and also by clinical history. Eczema requires antihistamines like cetrizine along with emollients and steroids while urticaria usually responds to antihistamines. Swelling over your face could again be due to angioedema or urticaria. Rosacea is characterised by flushing over face along with raised bumps or pustules and thread veins. The flushing in rosacea increases with sun exposure, alcohol, hot beverage or spicy food. I can only confirm your doctor's diagnosis, if you could send me pics of involved areas and if possible please upload any reports and prescriptions given by your doctor for the above mentioned skin concern. Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care