Can raised triglycerides be corrected without taking any medicines ?

Hello, I am a 46yr female. My bloodwork in Dec 2010, tryglc 156, chol 207, HDL 53, LDL 123, TSH 3.03, chol/hdlc ratio 3.9. Yesterday my blood work was tryglcerides 312, chol 221, HDL 48, LDL 111, TSH 3.11, chol/hdlc ratio 4.6. Since Dec I've lost 10lbs, I'm 5'5" 145lbs. The doctor wanted me to take 50mcg synthroid and 145 mg Tricor. I've read that if your tyroid is out of wack it can cause your triglycerides to be out of balance. I was considering just correcting my thyroid and maybe taking fish oil for a month or two and then re-testing the blood work. but it doesn't seem that my throid is too much off balance. Do you think that is causing my triglycerides to be elevated? I am on birth control since I was 17 (endometriosis). No other health issues and I am very active. I'm nervous to start a triglyceride medication so quickly when this has never been an issues before. Thanks, Peggy
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later

You have read correctly that decreased thyroid levels can cause a rise in triglycerides but your thyroid hormone levels are not too low and you are already taking synthyroid for this.

The problem is that not only your triglycerides but your cholesterol is also raised and the main thing TC/HDL ratio has increased considerably.

It is best to start with Tricor as your physician has advised you and try taking the fish oil simultaneously. If the ratio improves you can reduce the dose of Tricor later on.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.