Can raised thyroid levels affect the baby at 9 weeks of pregnancy ?

hello doc,
I am so scared. at 5 weeks pregnant my thyroid levels were normal (bit on high side safely) I retested TSh again 4 weeks later at 9 weeks (wanted to be proactive) and now TSH is 14 but T3 & T4 is normal. endocrinologist raised my dose immediately from 112 mcg 6 days a week to 137 daily. Will baby definitely be retarded or slow?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Teen Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 25 minutes later

Although you had normal TSH levels at 5 weeks pregnancy, you have raised TSH levels now at 9 weeks in pregnancy. During the first trimester, the fetus depends on the mother’s supply of thyroid hormone but after 10-12 weeks it starts producing its own thyroid hormone.

Although hypothyroidism has been associated with maternal complications, effect of maternal hypothyroidism on the baby’s brain development is not as clear. Untreated severe hypothyroidism in the mother can lead to impaired brain development in the baby.

Recent studies have suggested that mild brain developmental abnormalities may be present in children born to women who had insufficiently treated hypothyroidism. We cannot predict at this stage whether any neurological delay in growth is there or not.

However get regular ante natal checkups done to rule out or detect early and complication of hypothyroidism. These include anemia, low birth weight and pre eclampsia. So get your hemoglobin count, ultrasounds and BP monitored at regular intervals.

Also take the thyroid medicine regularly and get your TSH levels checked every 2 weeks to keep a strict eye on the levels and hence adjust the dose accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.