Can racing heart beat, diarrhea and panic attacks be indications of adrenal gland disorder?

Endocrinologist
Question
Hi. Thank you for your time. I am wondering if I may have an endochrine issue with my adrenal glands. Possibly pheochromocytosis. Ten years ago I had my first episode. I went in ambulance with tremors, palpitations, sweating, felt I was going to die. I then had a second soon after when I drank mountain dew. I got violently ill. I had major shakes, diaherrea, elevated bp, fainting, racing heart, etc. Went to er. I have learned stimulants will trigger nasty symptoms, as well as delodid, and pain meds. Im literally afraid to take new meds. However ten years later and 500 plus episodes, I thought taking benadryl would be no big deal. Its a sedative not a stimulant. I took one saturday after having itchy eyes from my cat. My bp was 220/113 at the time the emt took it on site. I took half an ativan. It lowered to 178 over the course of an hour. I also had a time I was lying down to watch a movie and all of a sudden I got hit like a XXXXXXX with nasty symptoms. My heart rate was 250bpm and in the ambulance they gave me iv medication to restart my heart. Ive also been in er because massive migraines, very low potassium, and had a blood transfusion I reacted badly to for severe anemia. They have labeled me panic disorder, but even my psychiatrists are thinking it is not. My episodes can last hours. Panic attacks dont typically do that. Im wondering if I have adrenal gland disorder.
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Pheochromocytoma Detailed Answer: it is worth evaluating you for this condition. I recommend the following tests: Plasma fractionated metanephrines Plasma Aldosterone concentrations Plasma Renin Activity CBC CMP There is no need to fast for these tests. You can do them mid morning after being up and about for a couple hours. Are you on any medications on a regular basis?