Can rabies be spread from saliva of vaccinated dogs eating an infected squirrel?

Hi. I have two dogs, which have both been vaccinated for rabies and I found them eating a dead squirrel in the yard. I think they have been snacking on this squirrel for a couple days. They are both inside dogs so they frequently are licking our faces etc. My question is, if the squirrel had rabies, even though they are vaccinated could they spread rabies to humans by coming inside and licking us after they were eating the squirrel?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Both of your dogs are vaccinated for rabies. If they feed on a rabies infected squirrel and directly immediately after that lick on the face or an open wound or a mucosal membrane then a very remote possibility is there that the remnants of squirrel in their saliva might cause an infection to the family members.

As such squirrels are not commonly infected by rabies. So you need not be very apprehensive but be cautious in the future.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.