Can punching the stomach during 3rd week of pregnancy cause Spastic diplegia in the child ?

When I was approximately 3 weeks pregnant, I punch myself in the stomach 3 times. It left no bruising, no pain, just a lot of guilt when my son was born with Spastic Diplegia. (I was suffering from post pardom depression from my first child and the thought of having a 2nd child when I was already so exhausted hit me hard when I found out. I was "not" being treated for depression at the time. I was too stubborn to admit I was despite knowing it ran strongly in my family. I wasn't treated until months after having my son.) Did I cause my son to born with this form of Cerebral Palsy?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 14 minutes later
Hello ,

At 3 weeks post conception, the embryo is very small and well protected by the uterus, the pelvic bones, the intervening abdominal viscera and abdominal muscles.

Any punches that were self imposed, and did not cause any bruises or severe abdominal pain would not cause any issues to the embryo, as the uterus is just about 5-8 cm in length and well protected by the abdominal viscera as well as the pelvic bone.

Hence the cause of your son having spastic diplegia could not have been caused by your action, during your depressed state of mind.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.
Follow-up: Can punching the stomach during 3rd week of pregnancy cause Spastic diplegia in the child ? 9 hours later
What kind of things could cause that type of Cerebral palsy?
My c-section was intentionally done 3 weeks early. Could that have played a role or the Lovenox I was on.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 13 hours later

Cerebral palsy is condition, sometimes thought of as a group of disorders that can involve brain and nervous system functions such as movement, learning, hearing, seeing, and thinking.

Ther are several different types of cerebral palsy, including spastic, dyskinetic, ataxic, hypotonic, and mixed.

Cerebral palsy is caused by injuries or abnormalities of the brain. Most of these problems occur as the baby grows in the womb, but they can happen at any time during the first 2 years of life, while the baby's brain is still developing.

In some people with cerebral palsy, parts of the brain are injured due to low levels of oxygen (hypoxia) in the area.

Premature infants have a slightly higher risk of developing cerebral palsy. Cerebral palsy may also occur during early infancy as a result of several conditions, including:

1. Brain infections (encephalitis, meningitis, herpes simplex infections

2.Infections in the mother during pregnancy (rubella)

3. And certain unknown reasons.

The specific causes that might have resulted in your sons condition, might need to be determined after tests like MRI of the brain.

Depending on the exact location of brain involvement, it can be known if it was a infection or something else.

EARLY C - section if done by a experienced and trained surgeon and for valid indications does not cause Spastic paralysis, unless there were complications during the surgery.

Lovenox, is also not associated with this form of complication.

I hope this helps.