Can protonix be taken for two weeks for stomach pain?

Is it ok to take protonix twice daily (80mg total) for two weeks? I was diagnosed with a stomach ulcer 4 wks ago and took the antibiotics for 10 days along w Protonix 40 mg once a day. The hunger pain in the middle of my stomach is still present. My GI dr advised me to up my Protonix to twice daily for (at least 2 wks). I worry about how safe taking that much is. Also, is it normal to still experience ulcer like symptoms 4 wks into treatment? Admittedly, I have been under an enormous amount of stress in the last 10 days. I wonder if that has something to do with it... I ask these questions because presently it is very difficult to get in touch with my dr. I only leave messages with the receptionist and she calls me back later. He is always too busy:( Thank you for your time.
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Peptic Ulcer
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes, you may take 80 mg in a day. Detailed Answer: Protonix can be used at that dosage in severe cases. In fact it can even be given in higher doses in some rare cases, but 40mg twice daily is more common, and is generally used for two weeks when there is H. pylori (as in your case when antibiotics are also used) like your doctor prescribed. Your symptoms may still be present because you need to take the medicine as prescribed in order to treat your ulcer, and you have only taken it once a day. I totally understand that you were worried about it, but now you should try to take it properly twice a day for two weeks and hopefully your symptoms will resolve. I hope this was helpful, please let me know if you need any more information.
Follow-up: Can protonix be taken for two weeks for stomach pain? 35 minutes later
Thanks for the reply. I only took it once a day because that's how it was originally prescribed. Sorry I wasn't clear. It was only because my symptoms persisted that the dr increased the dosage today.
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 2 hours later
Brief Answer: I understand, thanks for the clarification Detailed Answer: in that case, it certainly makes sense to try the new dosage, hopefully that will do the job for you. good luck! let me know if you still need anything.