Can prostatitis cause a spike up in the PSA?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
will prostatitis cause a spike up in the PSA
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Prostatitis can cause PSA to rise Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. . The most frequent cause for a spike in blood PSA levels is prostatitis or inflammation of the prostate gland. This is a false positive finding and further assessment may be done after completing treatment for the infection. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Can prostatitis cause a spike up in the PSA? 7 hours later
My PSA went from 1.8 to 2.5 in 6 months and then 2.5 to 3.9 in 4 weeks with a follow up blood test that was ordered by my urologist...so in your opinion the high increase in such a short period of time could be caused by prostatitis or an infection more so then prostate cancer. I have a follow up with urologist on Monday and expect that he will order a prostate biopsy.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Repeat PSA with ultrasound and guided biopsy Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in with an update. The change in PSA from 2.5 to 3.9 must be accepted with suspicion. Though it can be due to prostatitis, your doctor must be sure about it. An ultrasound scan of prostate will further help in knowing any structural abnormalities in your gland. As prostate biopsy is an invasive procedure, a repeat assessment of PSA can be done and then you may proceed with ultrasound and guided biopsy. After guided biopsy the nature of the cells in your prostate gland will be known and even the line of treatment if any required will be clear. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Can prostatitis cause a spike up in the PSA? 6 hours later
Can a colonoscopy in any way possibly affect the PSA score...I had colonoscopy two weeks before the blood test that came back at 3.9

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Serum levels of PSA are elevated after colonoscopy Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in with an update. I did review of medical literature and confirm that colonoscopy can cause raised PSA levels and serum PSA levels were elevated during 7 days after colonoscopy as per a research study. It comes down to normal after 14 days. Please discuss this matter with your doctor in detail. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek