Can prostate cancer betreated with casodex?

Greetings to YOU doctor, I KNOW a man who HAS PROSTATE cancer,presently. He lives in an over-sea country. His doctor discovered that he has prostate-cancer and the cancer is ONLY IN the prostate. It has not spread any further at this point..(ONLY IN THE PROSTATE.) The doctor wants to REMOVE the Prostate,before any spreading occur. The man is IN HIS late 50's early 60's.. I recently learned about CASODEX - an ANTI-ANDROGEN and IS USED TOGETHER WITH LHRH to TREAT PROSTATE CANCER...

With YOUR KNOWLEDGE, would YOU ADVISE to start TAKING CASODEX, soon as POSSIBLE, to STOP further occurence(s) or, would YOU suggest TAKING OUT the Prostate. The patient IS GOING back to HIS doctor Tomorrow... I NEED a QUICK REPLY. THANK YOU!!!
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 8 minutes later

I have read your query with diligence.

If I were the treating doctor of this patient, I would start him on Casodex at the earliest and would also plan for an elective Prostatectomy in a week's time.

Casodex has been approved by the FDA in 1995 and various clinical studies have proved its effectiveness along with LHRH in the treatment of locally limited prostate cancer specially stage D2.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have more concerns.