Can prolongled usage of laxative for chronic constifation lead to medical problems?

Hi Doctor, I am writing in behalf of my mother. She has chronic constipation, it has been for several years, now it become little worse. she has to take 2 dulcolax tablets plus one aurvedic powder for the bowel movement. She never had a detailed checkup to find the cause of this. Will she face any other medical problem in the future due to the prolonged use of these laxatives? Which specialist we need to consult for this? Please advice. Thanks, XXXX
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 28 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. Yes overuse of laxatives is a serious issue. It can lead to complications like electrolyte imbalance and also the large bowel can become ineffective in expelling the feces. You need to consult your gastroenterologist to treat this issue. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini